As you might know, gambling is legal only in certain states of the US. But now there is a support group in the state of Alabama who are fighting for the legalization of gambling in their state. They have started a poll which asks for the government to establish a lottery and Las Vegas-style gambling halls at four dog tracks around the state. This poll has found out the following things:
- Around 89% of Alabamians are for a vote on gambling.
- Some 80% offer support for a lottery for education.
- Almost 69% have said that they support a gambling/lottery constitutional amendment, which they deem necessary before any gambling can begin.
- About 77% of them say that they prefer this plan over an alternative plan in which the state would cut a deal with the Porch Band of Creek Indians who would agree to pay taxes if they received exclusive rights to operate gambling in the state.
- It also found out that 66% of Alabamians are opposed to new taxes meant to solve the state’s current budget crisis.
Politicians say that the level of support the poll has found is a welcome help as they try to persuade legislators to support legalizing gambling. They say that legalizing gambling at the four sites and creating a lottery could generate up to $400 million for the state. It would also create 11,000 new jobs and have an overall economic impact on the state of almost $1.3 billion.